Women’s athletics classes were originally held in the Main Building, room permitting. They would then take over the basement of the Women’s Building in 1903. In 1914, N Hall, commonly referred to as “the Shack,” was acquired for women’s athletics. Here, UT women’s basketball players practiced and played for over 15 years. Staying true to the ideals of the time, N Hall had little standing room for spectators, particularly men.
Photo credit: Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin,di_07851; Girl’s Athletics – Basketball, 1925/02 from the Prints and Photographs Collection
Photo credit: Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin,di_07882; Women’s Basketball, circa 1924 from the Prints and Photographs Collection